Friday, February 2, 2007

Failure to Communicate

What were they thinking?
That's what I ask myself every time I see this logo. It makes absolutely no sense to me. At first, I thought the people were floating in some sort of strange outer world, where they struggled to survive. Their legs dangle, and rest on empty balloons that I mistook for whales and eyeless fish.
The whole image seems like a storyboard for a Tim Burton animated film.
I cannot see what the image has to do with the purpose of the organization.
Good communication must effectively integrate the purpose of the organization with visual elements. None of that exists here. I am lost.
But below are some examples that I think work well.

2 comments:

gercohenJoMC712 said...

agreed. The logo may mean something to people who belong to the organization, but it tells little or nothing to outsiders. Potential motto: "Join ASAE -- and you can float while holding hands!"

serena fenton said...

Or it might be saying 'join us' and you won't need any of those mind-altering drugs!'